So Sarah and I saw the movie Black Swan tonight and it centered on an interesting theme and got me thinking. Perfection. Why is this something we all try so hard to achieve? Whether in school, work, hobbies, social life. Everyone says the ol’ saying “practice makes perfect” but is perfection something that is even attainable? Why do we twist and mold ourselves into something so distant from our true selves just to gain a supposed validation of others? Is there really something so inheritantly wrong with us that we are not okay the way we are, or are we trying to fulfill an unrealistic goal? There has got to be a point where we just say ENOUGH and learn to love ourselves. That moment finally happened for me, after years of therapy and treatment centers I finally realized that nothing I can do would change someone’s feelings or actions toward me and I had to be the one to tell myself there was nothing wrong with me, I was fine just the way I was. Yet I’ve seen others die in pursuit of this supposed “perfection” Is there such a thing as a breaking point?
I was looking for quotes on this subject and I came across this one.
“The pursuit of perfection often impedes improvement” George Will
This sums it up perfectly for me. If we spend our lives trying to achieve the unattainable we miss what is right in front of our eyes. It is time we stop giving our power away to others and accept our flaws and defects. We need to stop looking for love in all the unfeasible places and learn to love ourselves. Because that is the only way to truly have peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment